Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recipes and the Status Quo

Well, I was hoping to call this something different, but by some weird change, I hit "Enter" instead of "Delete", so the title sticks. Attendance for my courses is going to be dismal tomorrow - even the College Credit ones. The community's in an uproar over a local team making it big, and everything has been put on temporary hiatus in support for the team that just might make our town notable for something more than the Pony Express, Cherry Mash, or the fact that Jessie James ate a bullet here. Thankfully, I'm so ahead of the game that I can feel free to plop down and focus on important things, like the Plat du Jour for each day I have off:

Aaron and I flipped through the recipes at Ninja-burger, and I happen to have everything needed to whip up the ominous "Oriental Ninjaburger" with the exception of a single lemon. Expect that, soon - I'll tell you how it is, despite its dubious goodness for me.

Blancmange, the dish Cirno and I discussed, incidentally only requires a bit of lemon as well - the cornstarch and sugar I have leftover from Pumpkin Flan can be used in it, and the Vanilla Extract, as well. Supposedly, this goes pretty nice with coffee. Sounds like I'll be having a sugary desert for breakfast tomorrow. Expect to see this, as well.

Eiki and I discussed Lasagna - I'm not a huge fan of it, but I may make a baked pasta dish... I have a lot of Penne just sitting in this box, though I don't have any mozzarella - A combination of sliced mozzarella and grated parmesan is what makes Chicken Parmegiana so easy and delicious, but - like Eiki - I'm a little bored with a different preparation of chicken every day.

I saw a recipe for the spice rub used in Blackened Salmon - a dish I order every time I go out to eat - floating around. There's a lone, frozen Tilapia fillet sitting in the freezer and I might have to make it. It's definitely not as boring as Chicken, and despite the snow and rain that have started to make a return, I think the weather will be plain enough to try and grill it, too.
Grilled Blackened Tilapia. That sounds so good right now...

Yes. I think I'll make this happen. Just a bunch of posts called "Plat du Jour".

Beneath all this recipe-talk, things have been kind of odd, this week.
The town's in an uproar, which is kind of an odd feeling - I'll use it to my advantage when I buy ingredients, to avoid any lines.
My cousin tried to kill herself - she's always been a lot like Marie Antoinette and I'm kind of torn between disliking her for dealing with her problems in such a stupid way, and her parents, for being the spineless, lazy people they are.
My mother's been in and out the hospital - my little sister once lost an ovary, after it rolled internally and cut off its circulation; now my mother's having the same experience, and she's always pacing to keep the blood circling.

To top it all off, an insurance representative, and her son, backed into the car-door. A little ironic, but we've been getting lots of agency calls, trying to sort out the situation. Hopefully, that'll all subside.

Eventful days - eventful kitchen. That's the gist of it all, this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment