Monday, March 21, 2011

Plat de Victoire.

You ever really tell someone off who everyone has wanted to tell off, but hasn't? Like, well, have you ever addressed the elephant in the room, much to everyone's relief? I did that today, and by God, I feel like a victor for it.





There's three particular students who have no business being in my Medical Courses, and they sit in the corner of the classroom, earning -my- Credit with papers they admit to stealing from eachother and the grace of their standing with the instructor.

I told the Instructor several times that I didn't appreciate the special treatment that the three were getting, and that I think Medicine is no place for people to skirt by on grounds of reputation. I got the typical brush-off, save for today.

While sitting in class, I began to frown. I got, "You seem angry. Would you like to say something?"

I stood up and promptly said, "You there! Yes, you three! I'm tired of hearing things come out of your face. In addition, I think you're breezing through a class you should be failing by grace of your social standing."

The leader of the three laughed it off and I quickly added, "No. Seriously."

One of them said, "I'm in a course you're in. What does that say about you?"
I said, "Just wait until college, my friend."

Everyone just kind of stood there, mouth agape.
After the lesson, the Instructor pulled me aside and said:

"...I hadn't expected any of that to come out of anyone's mouth. Do you feel better?"
I said, "I do - is this a bad pull-aside or a good pull-aside?"
She opened her palm for a high-five and I laughed.

When No Child Left Behind essentially revokes your ability to fail students, you have to cross your fingers for the occasional self-righteous indignant loud-mouth to come along and say what everyone wants to.

I'll be that self-righteous indignant loud-mouth.

My victory meal was blackened salmon, with a small grilled onion garnish.
There was also a small portion of vegetables served aside it, but one so small that there was nothing to photograph after eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment