Saturday, November 6, 2010

Why I'd Like to be a Doctor.

Up until this point in my life, I'd found myself questioning why I wanted to be a doctor. I'd managed to feel-out a few of it's origins in a few things when I was small - I was always told that Medicine is the greatest career, aside from Archetecture, that I could pursue. I was kind of eager to live as a traveller when I was eight or so...

I read about the Amazon and places like it, and I decided I wanted to trek through there, and see animals nobody's heard of, and eat fruits you won't find in a supermarket...

When I grew older, this changed to the Former USSR, and I imagined admiring the austere skylines of Kremlin, or watching traditional welcoming dances in Croatia.

Then, I read the acclaimed Copypasta, "Damaged Goods".
It's a journal of questionable authenticity in which an anonymous Nurse somewhere around Washington lobbies for the custody of a young girl he'd come into the care of while working in the field of geriatric care.

Supposedly, he's since adopted her and vanished from the web as a father, the last entry stating she's fond of video-games and he's found himself very busy.

I spent three days reading that. One sitting, no less.
I was so inspired by it that I saved it all, lest I ever forget it inspired me...

It's easy to attribute your choice in careers to your parents, or from things you read when you were fourteen. It's very easy to play it aloof, and say you don't have any input beyond that, but I stopped and I thought...

There was a moment I've yet to forget. I was visiting extended family in Oklahoma - I've never been fond of the company of my Grandparents on either side, so I went to sleep at my Cousin, Jarad's. Jarad's father, Charlie Bly, is really fond of me, and I like him because he's so old and kind.

I had been watching Jarad planning to purchase a lizard, and parakeet, and playing games, and I remember I'd cleaned his room, which kind of embarrassed him. Suddenly, it was 3:00 AM. He went into the sun-room, because Charlie Bly is kind of wealthy, and he went to sleep on the Sofa. I was sitting there by him while he slept - he left the television on, and the video to "Handlebars" came on.

That was really profound. I didn't know why it was, at the time, I just new that it defibrilated something in me, and that the part was working, and has always, since. I'd kind of left it latent, knowing that it was working, but not really knowing what it did or why it was there - Y'know, kind of like your appendix or your tonsils.

I was playing Deus Ex earlier. I exclusively use Police Batons and Pepper-Spray to handle people who'd love to kill me...

Then, it hit me.

Nukes, Bombs, Tanks, Anti-Tank Rifles, Regular Rifles, Handguns, Handcannons, Hands.

Some of the earliest human skeletons found have arrowheads in them.

We're really creative at destroying eachother.
It kind of dictates politics - it determines which 'Superpowers' are worth negotiating with.
We're poised to blow a nation up, from the Cold War, and that's why we're likely having such a difficult time in the Middle East, where we're trying to keep civilian casualities down.

The battlefield is a parade of human ingenuity.
Isn't it a shame that it's so brilliant?

$1,600,000,000,000 is spent in Military Products globally, not counting research.

We've manufactured enough explosives destroy the world four times over.

That's a brutal, brutal science.
Terrifying statistics.

I don't want to be part of it.
I'd rather be the other portion of innovation.
I'd like to help people, not because I like people, but because I'd rather not hurt them. I feel gratified when someone doesn't feel worse because I was around to say, "My Journal of Medicine says to do this", or "This is why you're feeling like this". I want to impliment the ingenuities that keep people alive, that save lives.

Suddenly, I don't give a damned if Medicine is Socialized.
I just want to know people will feel better because I've given them my time.
I don't know if I could be a surgeon...
It's suddenly something to look into.

Today's picture is from Pyonta. It is a step by step guide to drawing your very own aspiring doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment