Sunday, January 29, 2012

Watercolors, Hailstorms, and Bone Marrow.

I got a really slick letter today. So slick that, instead of pinning it up on my cork-board like I tend to do for the mail I get, I actually dug up the cases I used for some charcoal sketches I bought when I was small, took the sketches out, and framed it instead, like I had Onni's calligraphy. It was chock-full of heartfelt stories, hippie memoirs, and facts about people I love that I find still hold true: beauty, a passionate curiosity, and a fervent care for others.

It was all sealed up with a hand-drawing of a butterfly that had flitted about after perching in her garden. I've bought a little Crayola tray of watercolors so that I can return the favor, and paint something worthwhile in return. I'm not a very stellar painter, but I have two eager sheets of cardboard and half the mind to paint some scenery akin to the stuff from Ico - Ico was a really beautiful little number.

I jogged a lot today. I was on my way to the Gym, and I kind of roundabout'd to dish out some thoroughly unnecessary reminders. I didn't make it to the weight-room, so I decided instead to just jog across town non-stop. As I did, a small storm kicked up, and the light rain I jogged in became a raging hailstorm that would make my lights flicker off and on when I returned home. I made it to the mile-marker that I push myself to reach, and I'm starting to be able to do it casually. It hurts, and I can feel it in my legs afterwards, but I can do it, and that speaks volumes about progress itself. The hail wasn't that bad either - I don't get hail often, but it felt something like running in a sandstorm. It was a sensory overload for certain.

I'd also like to thank the folks at Maid Army and Twohou as well as Fujiwara and Ana for their assistance in helping me garner ears for the Marrow Registration campaign I'd stirred up in response to Surviving the World. Without you guys, I wouldn't have been able to advertise, or reach as near as many eyes as it did. If you're reading this and out of the loop, let me explain:
Donating marrow is something I've been passionate about but unable to afford. For the remainder of January, the National Marrow Donor Program is covering the one-hundred dollar fee for registration. If you're over eighteen and meet the criteria to donate blood or platelets, you may register here for free until, well, after-tomorrow.

In closing, it happens to be Claire's birthday today.
Happy birthday, Claire! You're probably not nosy enough to sniff it out, but it's here. I hope your hangover is small and your post-party excitement is big.

No comments:

Post a Comment