Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Soul Food.

My kitchen's getting pretty barren again, and the cold pizza (Which is Breakfast of Champions) was taken to work for lunch by my folks. I was kind of sweating this last night along with how to prepare rice, with Emily. Whenever I prepare rice without the use of a rice-cooker, which I scored at a garage sale for a paltry fee of six dollars, I wind up with this gross bowl of white starch that's on its way to being Congee.

Not only is it unpleasantly textured and flavorless, but it's a pain in the ass to clean, and leaves me short a cup of rice.

Discussing this, I was given a few tips:
Add butter to the water before adding the rice,
Cook just below medium heat,
Season it while it cooks as opposed to later.

I didn't have too much laying around: a chicken breast in the freezer, a bag of baby carrots, and a potato. I know Pyon's not a fan of meats in curries, but I just couldn't have carrot-and-potato curry. It would be too plain without, at the minimum, an onion. I compensated for the lack of onion in mine with some powdered onion that I happened to have on hand. It worked very well.

I cooked everything at medium-low for an extended period of time, probably around...12:00 AM today, and it finished at 2:00 PM.

I actually covered the roux while it was simmering - it is initially pretty watery, and you boil it after adding the meat and vegetables until it thickens around them, essentially and went to the Gym. Everything was pretty slick because once I came back, bam - Instant MSG-less lip-tingling satisfaction.
Curry's pretty rib-sticky too. I probably won't be hungry for dinner.

Also, Emily's a practitioner of the occult. Yes. I did go the extra mile to work in that very stupid pun.

I talk to Onni at 9:00 - I had to do some generic meddling this morning. He's doing pretty well, and he took the time to educate me on the changes of World of Warcraft that have occurred in my absence. I used to play when it lacked any expansions, and it'd seem everything has been turned on its head. In addition to furries and LGM's, they've added all sorts of bullshit professions, changed the perk-system previously implemented, added, removed, and then re-added all sorts of titles, and...

Well, you get it. A lot of shit's changed.
Every now and then, I lament not being able to have enjoyed the Role-Playing aspect of the game, because I was rather young during my stay, and figured, "If I click that Roleplaying Server's checkbox, I may as well get fitted for a pocket-protector and start bidding on a first-edition of Dungeons and Dragons."
If I ever pick it back up, which I doubt, as I can't handle too many role-playing games short of Arcanum (as it largely lacks a multiplayer community) and Ragnarok (which has largely assassinated my patience, though Hjalmar and I once entertained the notion of swapping places and having me be a Taekwon while he got the feel for Monk.) I'd try for like...Paladin. The White Knight Class. Only I'd be all pompous and holier-than-thou until I found common ground with people.

...Or something.

It'd let me finally use that name I've been saving, too, "G.B. Krmmstopp".

...Gerbera Bernadette...Yeah. That sounds pretty pious.

Also, my family: it's in a bit of turmoil.
This is largely because of my little sister's education.
I'll keep that under my hood, though, until I know what's certain of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment