Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ce n'est pas une Mise a Jour.

(et bon anniversaire, Sabina!)

It's a sad fact that I hardly remember a thing from my French courses. Most of the French I wind up using casually nowadays are either cooking techniques (a la "Chiffonade") or the phrase "Tres interessante!" which I've picked back up after a hell of a hiatus for reasons not quite known to me. I think it started back up after my stay in New York City. "Plat du Jour" got some use, but it's been a long time.

Plat du Jour. Gosh, it's been awhile, but I was considering - if I can find my serving dish - trying to turn left-overs into a fairly presentable dish. I've some chilled chicken, potatoes, and a respectable honey-garlic sauce. I was thinking I'd spoon and smear the sauce with a wooden spoon, then kind of fan cuts of leftover chicken over it with the potatoes on the side kind of domino'd like a stack of spilled quarters. It would be the prettiest mess of cold food ever.

I've actually just come into a very good recipe for Macarons, which have experienced a sort of flare in popularity after the success and popularity of Ib (whose translated edition I will continue to host for your enjoyment Here alongside the notoriously frustrating to install .flow) and ideally I would make those, but I lack a frosting pipette. Admittedly, I can't imagine them shipping well to anyone, either. Too many folded egg-whites. I thought maybe I could send them unassembled like little pink Nilla Wafers that people could glue together with various jams and creams, just that just doesn't sound as pleasant.

Yesterday was kind of crummy. I spent most of my day lifting a four-hundred pound Pepsi-Cola Machine before unloading my sister's clothing while my family went out to eat. I pick the absolute worst times to fast.
Now that I'm done, though, I'm going to treat myself to an eggplant, and a cup of espresso. I've had the most bizarre craving for eggplant as of late, and it's been very persistant.

Also, yes, it's Sabina's birthday! 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SABINA!
We spent the morning-evening (Ohoho, Timezones, you wily cards, you!) discussing Bionicle, romance, baby-pictures, and telling inappropriate jokes about people who fart on subway cars. It was pretty wonderful, though it sounds significantly less-so typed out. You simply had to be there, I suppose.

I'll write more later, but the cafes are just opening, and I want coffee. Expect more-frequent correspondence for the timebeing, as I've finished my oddjobbing, and am nearly finished helping my family move. Thanks for reading and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment